Lara Hoffman is the wife of Nishad Chande, co-founder of Twigtale. She has spent much of her career working at organizations focused on homelessness, indigent defense, and social justice. While currently on medical leave to fight breast cancer, Lara normally works as a trial attorney for the Federal Public Defender’s Office in Los Angeles. Lara served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Harry Pregerson on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as the Honorable Christina A. Snyder and the Honorable William D. Keller of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. Lara obtained her law degree from UCLA Law School, where she graduated Order of the Coif. She holds dual Masters Degrees from the University of Pennsylvania in Political Science and Public Administration, and earned her BA from Dartmouth College. Lara and Nishad live in Los Angeles with their son Remi.
1. PLEASE DESCRIBE YOURSELF IN TEN WORDS.
Busy lawyer/frequently late mom of fantastic 7 year old
2. NOBODY EVER TOLD ME PARENTING WOULD REQUIRE ME TO ...
Become an expert on all the different construction trucks known to man. For example, I now know what a “feller buncher” does.
3. KIDS SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS. ONE OF THE BEST THINGS THAT EVER CAME OUT OF MY CHILD'S MOUTH WAS ...
“Tell [my school] that I’m not going back next year. I’m moving to England and going to Hogwarts.” My serious son followed this up with an intense conversation about whether an owl could make it across the Atlantic Ocean to deliver his admissions acceptance letter...
4. MY WORST 2AM MOMENT WITH MY CHILD WAS ...
…when he woke up with the croup. There is nothing more terrifying than when your child is struggling to breathe.
5. MY IDEA OF PERFECT FAMILY HAPPINESS IS …
Snuggling and reading in bed together on lazy Saturday mornings.
6. WHAT IS THE BEST PARENTING ADVICE YOU GAVE OR RECEIVED?
Trust your gut, don’t worry too much, and don’t forget to laugh.
7. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BOOK TO READ WITH YOUR CHILD?
The Harry Potter series. My son and I are both addicts. I also loved The Curious Garden when Remi was younger, and anything by Dr. Seuss.
8. I WOULD WIN THE PARENTING AWARD FOR ...
Making pancakes for family breakfast on Saturday mornings.
9. I WOULD BE PUT IN THE PARENTING PENALTY BOX FOR ...
Allowing a later bedtime a little too often.
10. IF YOUR CHILDREN WERE CHARACTERS FROM FICTION, WHO WOULD THEY BE?
Recently, my son likes to pretend to be Dobby the house elf, from Harry Potter. He makes our bed, puts chocolates on our pillows, and places slippers next to the bed. I have no idea why he thinks it’s fun, but I’m enjoying it!
11. IF YOUR FAMILY HAD THEME SONG, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole
12. THE TITLE OF THE MOVIE ABOUT YOUR FAMILY LIFE WOULD BE ...
The Chronically Late Hoffman-Chandes
Read Lara Hoffman's essays Part One - The Story Changes. Love Remains the Same and Part Two - The Story Changes. Love Remains the Same.
The Twigtale Twelve - Lara Hoffman was originally published on September 9, 2015. Modifications to style, arrangement, and linked sources were made on January 8, 2016.