Traditionally we have taught children not to talk to strangers, but it turns out a child predator is most likely someone your child knows, not a stranger. Therefore, safety expert and Twigtale author, Pattie Fitzgerald recommends STRANGER DANGER needs to be replaced with a warning about TRICKY PEOPLE.
Here are a few tips to talk to your children about TRICKY PEOPLE:
- Safe Grownups Don’t Ask Kids for Help!! They go to other grownups if they need assistance. For example, a safe adult wouldn't ask a kid to help find his puppy - he would ask another adult!
- I don’t have to be POLITE, if someone makes me feel scared or uncomfortable, it’s okay to say NO… even to a grownup.
- I don’t keep SECRETS… especially if they make me feel scared or uneasy. No adult should tell a child to keep a secret!
- I will always pay attention to my inner voice, especially if I get an “uh-oh” feeling.
- Teach them that they are the BOSS OF THEIR BODY (better yet, use a personalized book to explain it!)
Toddler Tip: Tricky People Are The New Strangers was originally published on June 16, 2014. Modifications to style, arrangement, and linked sources were made on January 8, 2016.